[PLUG] wifi security

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Feb 25 22:22:45 UTC 2009

Ted> I find myself spending a bunch of time in coffee houses with
Ted> wifi. I'm curious about the security. Most of the time I don't
Ted> care. If someone wants to read my email, they're welcome to
Ted> it. But what about a credit card purchase? I have not done it,
Ted> but what if I bought something over the Internet using my credit
Ted> card and the wifi at Bella Espresso or Jax? Would I be foolish to
Ted> do that?  -ted

Carlos> Yes, that would be foolish!  Why take chances like that?  Your
Carlos> only hope of security is if the web page is SSL encrypted.

Since virtually every online transaction that involves money *is* SSL
encrypted, then it becomes un-foolish again.  These things were pretty
much solved _years_ ago.

The biggest wifi security problem we see is people checking their
email from pop3 servers and the like.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net