[PLUG] Do people use Java Web start with Ubuntu?

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:53:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Ted Kubaska <tedkubaska at comcast.net> wrote:
> I run Hardy on my Mac Book Pro under Parallels. All the demos now work
> for me. After I did the two steps I listed earlier, not before. It was
> very frustrating to find this out. Most of the people in the Java
> group are straight Mac users (majority) or Windows users (minority)
> and don't deal with Linux issues. I was amazed that it didn't work
> right off ... Java being so key to opensource.

Did you try using an ubuntu-packaged java install? (eg: sun-java6-jdk?) Why did you choose to do the install manually (or automatically into /opt...)?

The only problems I've had with java on Ubuntu have been caused by GCJ installs -- which have *never* worked for me, and frequently cause me increased frustration and lost time.

If you have gcj installed, you'll need to remove it (highly recommended ;) or change your java defaults with update-alternatives.  (and there are a number of them that, afaik, need to be changed individually.  You can see them in /etc/alternatives )

--Rogan