[PLUG] back to basics (some advice sought)

Tim Slighter tcslighter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 21:04:42 UTC 2009

its all about personal preference.  I totally lock my laptop down so
that it only comes up in console mode only with everything in place
(encrypted file systems, bastille, noshell, etc) and try at all possible
to conduct all my internet activity using console based tools only.
Snownews for rss, mutt for mail, lynx for web, why they even have
calendars, project planners, and so much more that can be done using
console or curses based environments.  No eye candy but I can get my job
done and have a lot less exploitable applications running.  I suppose if
I wanted to be extremely paranoid I could run each and every one of
these applications in a chroot but too much work.  If and when I am
forced to use a desktop environment (such as a java based web page -I
can't wait until someone builds a curses or text based browser that can
run java), I resort to using startx with XFCE4.  Login managers use
unnecessary resources and can easily be done without imo.

However, if you have a serious high power computer and have a need to
use multiple desktop environments (KDE, Gnome, XFCE4, etc), then a login
manager is necessary.