[PLUG] back to basics (some advice sought)

Michael M. Moore michael at writemoore.net
Sat Feb 28 00:32:30 UTC 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Michael M. Moore wrote:
>
>> So, assuming I'm not interested in a multi-head setup, not connecting to
>> remote terminals or something, not at all put out by logging in from a
>> console rather that a pretty screen with flowers and butterflies, nor by
>> editing .xinitrc if I want to change my window manager, do I really need a
>> display manager?  Are there any other essential or desirable functions I'd
>> be missing?
>
> Michael,
>
>    You're approaching this from the wrong end. The first question for you to
> answer is what you want to do that requires (or is facilitated by) the
> computer. If the answer is 'nothing' then perhaps an Etch-A-Sketch(R) is
> more appropriate.
>
>    When you have a list of things to do on the computer, make a list of the
> tools you can use for each one. Then consider how they may interact, what
> would make it easier and more productive for the time you spend on the
> computer, and how you prefer to work.

That's pretty close to what I am trying to determine -- how do things
interact, what do I find easier, more productive, more enjoyable to use.

>    Then you can decide if you want a GUI desktop/window manager or you can do
> everything by logging in on multiple terminals. Regardless of what you
> decide, you do not need to log in via a GUI (KDM, GDM, XDM). You can log
> into a terminal then manually run 'startx' when you desire.

That's exactly why I was asking the question -- I couldn't find anything
that said "You need a display manager because..." it provides
this-or-that function I already know I need, or it interacts with
something I already know I need in a certain way that makes that thing
function better, or provides extra something-or-other.  So I was coming
to the conclusion that, nope, I don't need it.  But these are complex
things, these operating systems, and I thought I might be overlooking
something.

Roger brought up one issue I hadn't come across, security, but in my
present circumstances, the potential problems he pointed out aren't
really a concern.  If someone breaks into my apartment, I will have more
to worry about than can he gain access to my user login.  And if my cat
gives X the 3-finger salute and gets a command prompt, I doubt he'll be
capable of using my credit card to order cases of Greenies.

So it looks like, for my purposes, no, I don't need a display manager.

Hooray!

Michael M.