[PLUG] email broken

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Jan 4 15:41:45 UTC 2009

>>>>> "fhh5" == fhh5  <fhh5 at comcast.net> writes:

fhh5> From what I can tell, it looks like I need to get my email redirected to
fhh5> port 587 instead of port 25 since we think that Comcast is blocking port
fhh5> 25 now.  I use zoneedit for my dynamic dns needs, and they have a web
fhh5> redirecting service.  I can't find a similar service for email though.
fhh5> Anyone got any info on how to do this?  I am not locked in to zoneedit
fhh5> by any means (but they are free and that is good), so changing dynamic
fhh5> dns provider is ok.

Port 587 is for client-to-server, not server-to-server.  For example, my
email from my laptop mail client would first go to my stonehenge.com server
via port 587, and then if it's for you, will go to your port 25, since that's
server-to-server.

So, while you can likely changing your mail injection (client to server) for
your own machine to 587, you are not going to change the world (server to
server) away from port 25... that's firmly embedded in the design.

As others have said, you'll need to host your domain somewhere else.