[PLUG] Computer audio out to stereo

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jan 5 02:21:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:14:11 -0800
Denis Heidtmann <denish at dslnorthwest.net> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > For a long time I have wanted to use my computer as the source of audio
> > for my home stereo. Not only is it more convenient, but there are more
> > options - streaming internet radio stations, for example.

> I have such a setup.  I expect that you are using the preamp input to your
> stereo, which would account for the distortion.  (The preamp input is made for
> very low level signals.)  There should be a "line out" on your sound card.
> There should be a "line in" or "aux in" on your amplifier.  RCA cables will link
> the two.  If your amp only has a "Tape input", that should work, but the front
> panel control to get it working will be "tape monitor".
>
> The advice from Dan about SPDIF seems to refer to digital output.  I doubt your
> stereo has inputs to accommodate it.
>
> (You may find that the output from your sound card will be a small phone-type
> jack.  You can buy cables which have the proper phone plug on one end, and two
> RCA plugs on the other.)

I do have the connector-adapter cables that you mention. One end is a
plug that fits the headphone/speaker jack on the motherboard sound
output panel and the other end terminates in two RCA plugs. And yes, I
did connect the stereo end to the AUX input. (Actually, the preamp has
no AUX input, but it does have inputs for PHONO, CD, MD/TAPE, TV/SAT
and VIDEO. I tried all but the PHONO inputs and the sound was equally
distorted on all. (The PHONO is for magnetic cartridge, I am sure.)

The stereo has no input for SPDIF, so that is probably not an option.

But noting that the stereo has video input jacks and the motherboard
add-on TV-out gadget has video-out jacks, perhaps that is a solution. I
certainly never tried it. Only problem is that the video-out gadget on
the computer has four RCA jacks, but they are not marked, and the
manual says nothing. One is white and slightly recessed, another is
red, and two are green. There is also a round connector about 3/8" in
diameter that looks like it is supposed to take a plug with pins, sort
of like an old-timey keyboard jack. I am clueless, but I can go to
Asus.com and see if I can scare up any further details.

If I can figure which jacks on the TV-out gadget are the audio I will
try that first. I already have a long RCA cable, so it's just a matter
of repositioning the stereo close enough to the computer to reach.
Hmmm, maybe first I need to tell Ubuntu to find the TV-out gadget and
send the sound to it. Need more clues.