[PLUG] Computer audio out to stereo <Sort of Solved>

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Tue Jan 6 05:23:48 UTC 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have it sort of working.
>
> I am using just the cable that I used before, together with an adapter
> for headphone/speaker jack to RCA. I plugged it into the Video Sound-in
> connectors on the stereo and it works. That is, it works well as long
> as the volume on the computer is tweaked properly to avoid breaking up.
>
> Having said that, the volume remains a problem. Audio programs all have
> their own volume slider, and then there is the one in Alsamixer. The
> volume slider in some programs automatically affects the volume in
> Alsamixer. In other programs the slider doesn't work at all. In other
> programs the slider works, but seems to be indpendent of Alsamixer. The
> result is that every program I use ends up having a different volume.
> If I play an MP3 in Rhythmbox I get one volume. If I play it in Amarok
> I get a different volume. If I play it in Realplayer I get yet another
> volume level.
>
> At this time I am trying to figure out if I can use just one program
> for everything. (OK, I can dream, right?) Realplayer 11 plays the
> majority of the radio station formats - far more than any other
> program. I have almost 50 working classical stations in my Favorites
> list and that's more than enough. And it can also play MP3s. And its
> volume control is synced to Alsamixer.
>
> However, there remains a volume problem. In order to keep the computer
> sound from breaking up I have to keep the computer volume control at
> about 50%. That is fine - the stereo speakers are efficient and the
> stereo amplifier has plenty of spare power - so it is not a problem to
> crank up the stereo to compensate. But if I decide to use the tuner or
> the CD player in the stereo it will blast me out of the house! I hadn't
> planned on this, but I guess I can just use the computer for everything.

1. There are audio-specific Linux distros that might help immensely
here. Most of them run out of the Debian repositories, so you can
probably "make do" with Ubuntu. And if you're into the more exotic
stuff, the CCRMA tools run on top of Fedora. Dyne:Bolic and Studio64 are
the two Debian-based ones that I remember. Dyne:Bolic is interesting for
another reason -- the "Free as in freedom" purists recognize it as being
"pure" in that respect. In any event, the audio-specific distros will
feature low-latency kernel patches and lots of tools.

2. I didn't know there still *were* 50 classical radio stations. Of
course, between my CD collection / Zune and KBPS, I pretty much have my
needs met. :)

3. You're the first classical / audiophile I've heard mention MP3s and
serious listening in the same message. :) I use WMA lossless on my (80
GB) Zune and I think I have something like 120 CDs in 60 GB.