[PLUG] Computer audio out to stereo <Sort of Solved>

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 07:12:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 22:33:09 -0800
wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:

Galen wrote:
> > > I kind of doubt that there is a way to configure the output connector
> > > for line out v. speaker out.  Given a typical motherboard/sound card,
> > > the lime colored connector acts both the line output and headphone
> > > output.  Not to say that it doesn't exist, but I don't recall ever
> > > seeing a control in the mixer to this.

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:03 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:
> > I have it sort of working.
>>
> > However, there remains a volume problem. In order to keep the computer
> > sound from breaking up I have to keep the computer volume control at
> > about 50%. That is fine - the stereo speakers are efficient and the
> > stereo amplifier has plenty of spare power - so it is not a problem to
> > crank up the stereo to compensate. But if I decide to use the tuner or
> > the CD player in the stereo it will blast me out of the house! I hadn't
> > planned on this, but I guess I can just use the computer for everything.

> Your  best bet is still to set your audio output to "line out" - with a
> second best option of controlling the volume coming out of your output. You
> can do this by putting an inline volume control between the output port and
> the stereo. These are available from Radio Shack for a few dollars. I use
> one on my headphones so I can control things more quickly than I can with
> software. (my poor, poor sensitive ears!)

I'd love to set it to line out, but I have all but given up on figuring
out how. How many options are there in Alsamixer? Let me see, if I
recall high school algebra the number of permutations involves
factorials or something. I think the number of possibilities is a very
large number. I wouldn't have time left in my lifespan to listen to the
music.

I don't understand the second option. An inline volume control would
have to be an amplifier, since I can't get the signal out of the
computer at a high enough level without distortion. That's the only way
I can think of to make the volume coming out of the stereo speakers the
same whether I am listening to the computer or a radio station over the
air via the tuner in the stereo.