[PLUG] Multiple Administrators for a Web Site Feature

Heath Morrison heath at doublemarked.com
Tue Jan 6 18:42:16 UTC 2009

Hello,

Well, here's an idea that is a bit less inventive but may be a better
fit for your organization.

You might consider using one of these services, such as
http://www.flashalert.net/ or http://www.cancellations.com/, which are
in the business of alerting people when weather mucks things up. I
couldn't find anything useful on FlashAlert's site, but
cancellations.com is free for business owners. I've used
cancellations.com in the past, when my girlfriend was a teacher in
another state. You would setup the service for your business, and then
instruct your personnel on how to use it. It's all pretty simple. It
also allows people to signup to email and SMS alerts, if they so
choose.

Then, on your website, you can simple insert an iframe with the
cancellations.com page for your organization inside of it. Or, to
maintain consistency on your site, create a simple PHP page that
slurps up the contents of cancellations.com's page and pretties it up.
Using PHP and curl would also allow you to do some sanity checks on
the content before displaying it to your users.

It's a lot less home-brew than the other suggestions, but I think you
might find it meets your needs with significantly less work than
setting up WebDAV, etc.

-Heath