[PLUG] [PLUG-ANNOUNCE] How a Virtual Machine Works - pdx.pm next week

Tony Rick tonyr42 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 21:05:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>
>   Looks interesting, Eric. I remember that the HP-125 and -150 PCs in the
> early 1970s used the UCSD p-code as an interface to a virtual machine. I
> don't recall what higher level languages where used, but they all compiled
> to p-code.
>
> Rich

Originally, or pretty close to originally, it was UCSD-Pascal.  I don't know
if
that's what. the HPs used, but it's what was used at Northwest MicroSystems
in Eugene in the 70's when I was there.  We built an early desktop based on
the 8086,
and put the p-system on top of CPM (hey there, all you old-timers!) and
UCSD-Pascal
development on top of that.

- tony