[PLUG] Vonage and Comcast

David Mandel dmandel at pdxlinux.org
Thu Jan 8 10:56:17 UTC 2009

The sad truth is that a lot of people don't have much choice.

I personally have some choice at my home in Corvallis - and I keep
thinking about moving away from Comcast, but haven't done so yet.

By contrast, I have few and poor options at my farm - which is only a
couple miles from Corvallis city limits.  It isn't served by cable or
DSL.  We tryed a wireless company and they couldn't get a signal from
the house to any of their towers.  What a pain!  And to think that
this is just a stone's throw away from a major tech town.  Think of
the poor people in Eastern Oregon.

Speaking of which, my sister lives in Grass Valley, Oregon.  This is a
"city" of 150 people and they not only don't have cable or DSL, but
they don't have cell phone coverage - or at least it is very poor.  My
sister says that if she drives about a mile out of town to the top of
the nearest hill, she can use her Verizon cell phone.

David