[PLUG] vmware workstation 6

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 21:14:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Michael Robinson
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:

>> What specific symptoms did you see regarding networking from the guest OS
>> having stopped working?
>>
>> What are the guest OS' DNS servers set to?

I was just able to reproduce this on an Ubuntu host with a windows XP
client under VMWare Player v.2.5.0 build-118166 (I *think* this is the
player version that corresponds to the version 6 workstation).

The dns servers I'm using are internal, and I specified the host's
"real" ip as the first dns server (it is not a dns server).  The
Virtual machine can ping things by ip, but not by name.  (Testing with
google.com and 209.85.171.100, which point to the same place, modulo
load balancing).

Windows networking doesn't seem to be working either, but with windows
networking that could be due to anything...

I don't plan on spending any more time to try and fix this, since it's
just not a big deal to me, but it does sure seem like a VMware issue
from this end.

--Rogan