[PLUG] vmware workstation 6

ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Fri Jan 9 21:24:36 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Michael Robinson
> <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What specific symptoms did you see regarding networking from the guest
>>> OS
>>> having stopped working?
>>>
>>> What are the guest OS' DNS servers set to?
>
> I was just able to reproduce this on an Ubuntu host with a windows XP
> client under VMWare Player v.2.5.0 build-118166 (I *think* this is the
> player version that corresponds to the version 6 workstation).
>
> The dns servers I'm using are internal, and I specified the host's
> "real" ip as the first dns server (it is not a dns server).  The
> Virtual machine can ping things by ip, but not by name.  (Testing with
> google.com and 209.85.171.100, which point to the same place, modulo
> load balancing).
>
> Windows networking doesn't seem to be working either, but with windows
> networking that could be due to anything...
>
> I don't plan on spending any more time to try and fix this, since it's
> just not a big deal to me, but it does sure seem like a VMware issue
> from this end.
>
> --Rogan

Are you using a machine with CPU virtualization available?  If so, why not
use KVM instead of VMWare?  You can run VMWare guests with KVM.  I just
got it running today; it's sweet.  Since you bridge a tap interface and an
eth interface together using brctl and tunctl, your networking should work
the same as for any linux bridge and tap.

Carlos