[PLUG] Simulators/Emulators/VMs for Palm and Android

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Jan 11 22:03:27 UTC 2009

My wife the doctor spends a lot of time thinking about her patients,
and insufficient time thinking about keys, pagers, cell phones, etc.
There are some medical apps that she would like to run that store
data on a Palm PDA.  In time, I expect there will be medical apps
that she can run on Android.  However, I also expect she will lose
the physical devices from time to time.  It would be bad if she had
to buy new apps and configure them each time she did so.  It would
be disasterous if there was patient data on them.

An alternative is to run the apps on a virtual machine running on
her (well secured and not going anywhere) Linux desktop.  I know
there is an emulator for the Google Android; perhaps there are
decent emulators for the Palm.  I don't think she needs Garnet
(the latest version of the Palm OS) to run the Palm apps she wants.

Does anybody have experience or informed opinions about these
emulators?  I'm particularly interested in experience with
running Palm apps in these environments, as there are a lot of
them out there.

Keith