[PLUG] Cat 5 Junction

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 00:44:50 UTC 2009

Daniel Herrington wrote:
> I'm adding a new cat 5 network cable in the upstairs, and wanted to know if
> I could just patch 2 cat 5 cables together through a plug and recepticle on
> each end. The desktop would go into the final recepticle, whcih would be the
> wall outlet. At some point I'll fix it up with a junction box, but wondered
> if the above would work as a hack.

It should. Although, I've never tried to wire a plug. I'd put
receptacles on both ends and use factory made patch cables.

If you use a receptacle from a system like Leviton's, it will snap into
a cover plate when you get around to putting in the box. It doesn't have
to be a box, either. There are drywall brackets designed for low voltage
applications that provide the screw holes for cover plates without a box
in the back.

It's been a few years since I bought any, but Home Depot used to carry
all the stuff.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens