[PLUG] Trouble with Asus Eee PC...

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 07:03:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Russell Senior
<russell at personaltelco.net>wrote:

> Matt> I would add a +1 to ditch the tweaked Xandros and put EEEBuntu
> Matt> (Ubuntu) or EEEDora (Fedora) on it.  Customize to taste, stir,
> Matt> and serve. :)
>
> The biggest upside to leaving Xandros on is that it boots fast.  I
> installed EEEBuntu on an SD card but it takes about 4 minutes to get
> me to a prompt.  Xandros is usable in about 30 seconds.

Well that is part of the problem I think, Ubuntu is on the SD card, Xandros
is on the internal flash(?) or hdd, which I would imagine has a faster bus
speed than the SD port.
You might try using a faster capable SD card (still limited by the bus
though), but why not replace Xandros on the internal flash with Ubuntu?

It is similar to comparing a LiveCD distro to one installed on the HDD.  The
access time is going to be longer.

I saw someone at the OSCON last year with EEEDora on the Atom powered EEEPC,
he had customized it and got it to boot very quickly, I think it was around
15-20 seconds.

The issue isn't the distro, it is the media it is installed on.

At any rate I have no first hand experience with these netbooks yet but it
is on my "list", though I have tinkered with them a few times.