[PLUG] Flash player for Ubuntu on PPC?

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Thu Jan 15 17:14:48 UTC 2009

> A friend picked up a really cool looking Mac from Freegeek
> for public use in his cafe.  It's running Ubuntu, but unless we
> can find a Flash player for the Power PC architecture and
> Ubuntu O.S., he's going to have to shell out for MacOS.
>
> Does anyone on this list have any pointers to a Linux/PPC
> Flash player?

I can think of two possibilities:

1. See if gnash compiles on PPC (or has precompiled packages).  I would
   be surprised at this point if it didn't support PPC, but I have been
   surprised before.

2. Try to run the stock i386 flash from Adobe under Qemu.  No, I'm not
   talking about running a full VM.  Qemu can also do single-process
   instruction translation.  I've heard of people running i386 windows
   processes under Wine under Qemu on PPC.  It's insane that it works,
   but apparently it does. YMMV.

Good luck,
tim