[PLUG] /dev/ttyUSB1 not created when PDA connected

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 01:07:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 15:57, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>   In a little while (I've a couple of phone calls to make first), I'll try
>> syncing directly with pilot-link. Should have done this first.
>
>   Guess folks cut out early today.
>
>   The problem is apparently with pilot-xfer:
>
> [rshepard at salmo ~/.jpilot]$ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -s .
>    Unable to bind to port: /dev/ttyUSB1
>    Please use --help for more information

pilot-xfer is EXTREMELY finicky w/usb devices.  it's what i use, but
if your timing isn't right (down to the split-second) on trying to
sync after you plugin and the device is recognized, it won't work and
that is the error message it will give.  (note, this is only a problem
with the usb treo/visor products--i used it for 8 years with a serial
palm and it was rock solid and there was no timing issue).

i wouldn't judge the pilot-xfer software to be the cause of your
current problem, since it's what's used udner the hood of jpilot and
apparently jpilot is better at handling the timing somehow (how, is
beyond me, since i always felt like it was a kernel<->pilot-xfer
problem, and jpilot's not in the middle of that but rather on top of
the pilot-xfer end)

i really think a reboot might be in order.  i hate to suggest it, but
that's my last input on this one.  good luck!