[PLUG] Cutting the cable - mythtv/mythvodka and online video

Noj nojunkster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 22:19:24 UTC 2009

Comcast's Jan 14 transition to digital-only on the channels below 71
in my area just rendered 2 series 1 tivos useless. I've got free DTA
tuner boxes from comcast for manual channel changing, but I've long
since lost the Tivo IR senders, but a few web searches indicate series
1 can't send DTA-compatible IR signals anyway, and not thrilled with
the high error rate with tivos trying to blindly switch channels this
way.

Now I can either spend $500 initial cost plus $14/mo forever (cable
box rental and higher tivo fees) to get slightly newer Tivos that
support a serial connection to the tuner box for reliable channel
changing, or I can 'vote with my feet' and save $1000/yr by cutting
cable TV and going to internet video and maybe over-the-air solutions.

I was thinking mythtv + hulu (+torrent?)  hacks.

Inspired by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvQNEgEBFYM
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythStreams

Anyone have experience with this kind of usage, or found some other
way to 'cut the cable' and still have the loose equiv of basic cable?
Semi-addicted to channel 6 news, comedy central, and scifi channel,
everything else is just bennies.