[PLUG] Seagate 250GB laptop drives at Office Depot

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Jan 18 00:38:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 03:03:11PM -0800, Kyle Terry wrote:

> While on the subject of hard drives, I found this article to be quite
> interesting.
> http://www.techulas.com/tech-news/en/9771.html
>
> --
> Kyle Terry | www.kyleterry.com

Though it claims that Seagate has not acknowledged the problem,
which is not true:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

No date on the Seagate page, which I found today, so perhaps the
tech-news page is merely a little out of date.   Always remember
the two rules of data storage:

1) Shit happens.
  (in Thailand, where the factory is, the phrase is "My Pen Ry")

2) If you don't have two copies, you will end up with zero copies.

The interesting thing will be whether Seagate handles the repairs
and replacements as well as they have in the past.  Fixing this
could suck a lot of cash out of the company during a time when
sales are probably low.  If anyone has good or bad Seagate customer
service experiences to share, I would be interested in hearing
them - if they do well now, they will likely do well in lesser
future crises.  Hint:  don't expect them to recover your data
from a bricked drive, just a replacement.

Keith