[PLUG] /home/user partition question

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 18:26:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Michael M. Moore
<michael at writemoore.net> wrote:
>> Can you elaborate on why this is preferable to mounting something like
>> that in $HOME?
>
> I would love to know that too.

My guess is that Paul suggested it simply because that's sort of the
standard convention for doing that sort of thing. It's the "right" way
to do it. If at some point you decided you wanted to do something else
with that space, having it mounted directly in /home/$user would make
accommodating that other use much uglier. So, putting it in /opt,
/mnt, /media, etc and then symlinking makes it a little more flexible.
That's really the only technical advantage I can imagine. However,
since that kind of setup is the convention, following the convention
makes things for discoverable and sensible to someone else who might
be using the machine.

Now, all that said, on a personal machine where you are both the only
regular user and the admin, it doesn't really matter. All of that
convention came about from managing multi-user systems with multiple
admins. On your box, do whatever makes you happy and makes sense to
you.

Myself, I tend to do Paul suggested simply because it is my habit, and
as a result, it makes sense to me.

-QH-