[PLUG] /home/user partition question

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 19:46:16 UTC 2009

# from Richard C. Steffens
# on Monday 19 January 2009 11:00:

>If I understand correctly, the "right way" is to mount sdb1-4 as
>/opt/music, /opt/photos, /opt/backups, and /opt/spare. (I would change
>spare to Documents.) Then, in /home/rsteff, create symlinks to point
> to each of them.

I think using /opt is discouraged by the fhs - or at least it is spec'd
as 'add-on application packages', but then /mnt is supposed to be "a
temporarily mounted filesystem".  And of course, the fhs doesn't
concern itself with user data so much as 'application data'.

I've taken to mounting disks which act as "a place where I keep $stuff"
as /disks/$stuff and then loop mounting into /srv/$stuff.  Similarly,
any "just a big disk" is e.g. /disks/space.

From there, you can bind mount the whole disk or a subdirectory
to /srv/nfs/music and so on.

Symlinks can sometimes be problematic, but might be the best way to go
for making paths appear in your home directory.

--Eric
--
Introducing change is like pulling off a bandage: the pain is a memory
almost as soon as you feel it.