[PLUG] Dumbass network question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 06:48:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:22:25 -0800
MJang <mike at mommabears.com> dijo:

> In general, one way to avoid problems like you suggest is:
>
> 1) Static IP addresses (or consistent IP address assignments as Russell
> suggests)
> 2) NFS sharing for the entire network.
>
> You've listed the following in your /etc/exports
>

> /               192.168.0.101(rw)
> --------
> /media/md3	Devil7(rw) 192.168.0.102(rw)
> /			Devil7(rw)
>
> In general, I'd avoid sharing with hostnames and single IP address on a
> private network, unless security within your network is at issue. (And
> it's also risky to share the top-level root directory (/).)
>
> So you might change your /etc/exports to
>
> /              192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
>
> /media/md3     192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
>
> Though I'd encourage you to focus the sharing on more regular directory
> like /home.

Thanks to you and all the others for the replies and suggestions.

First, I found and downloaded the manual for my router (D-link Gamer
Gigabit router). Once I reviewed the manual I remembered how I set it
up. It uses a web interface, so you just type 192.168.0.1 into a web
browser and it takes you into the router setup stuff. Unfortunately,
when I set it up I just did the defaults. This time I went into the
various options and discovered I had no knowledge of what the
documentation was talking about. I did get it set to allow connections
only from the MAC addresses of the ethernet devices in the laptop and
the desktop. And having done so, both still function.

However, I still can't mount the desktop's partition on the laptop -
same error messages, access denied.

Regarding sharing only the home folders, I have other folders on the
desktop outside of ~/ that I may occasionally want access to from the
laptop.

I need to figure out how to set each computer to a fixed IP address.
And then I need to figure out why I did that. And maybe I should just
enroll in a networking course. All to transfer some files from my
laptop to my desktop. Better idea: Get a massive USB disk and transfer
them one diskful at a time. Considering the time I'll hve to invest in
learning how this stuff works it might ne more cost effective.

Sorry for my attitude. It's late and I'm grumpy.