[PLUG] Dumbass network question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 17:54:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:32:29 -0800
Erik Lane <eriklane at gmail.com> dijo:

> I just looked up and there are different models, but the first one listed by
> google was the DGL-4100. In the manual for that, under DHCP there's a
> section for "Add Static DHCP Client" which then lets you enter the MAC
> address and tell it which IP address that MAC address should get every time
> it requests one. This is on page 19 of the pdf manual from this page:
> http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=371&#DGL-4100
> Direct link:
> ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dgl4100/Manual/dgl4100_manual_100.zip

I have done that. At least I think I have done so. The page is under
the Basic tab and the section is Network Settings. At the bottom of the
page it says "Add DHCP Reservations." It even has a feature where it
will look at the ethernet device on the computer you are accessing it
from and pop its MAC address in. I set up the two computers each with
their current IP adddresses and even rebooted to be sure they were
getting the same IP address from the router.

But when I try to mount the desktop's partition on the laptop I still
get:

jjj at Devil7:~$ sudo mount -t nfs
192.168.0.148:/media/md3 /media/Devil6_md3/ mount.nfs: access denied by
server while mounting 192.168.0.148:/media/md3

It seems to me that it ought to be popping up a request for my username
and password on the desktop before allowing me to mount its partitions
on the laptop. Or maybe I can specify my username and password for the
desktop when issuing the mount command on the laptop. I can't find any
instructions on this in man mount.