[PLUG] Seagate ST3500320AS (was Re: 1 TB Hard drives)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 21 02:05:17 UTC 2009

On 20 Jan 2009 13:51:11 -0800
Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

> Apparently, this particular behavior is specific to the 500G model
> (ST3500320AS), but it certainly raising understandable questions about
> the rigor and competence of Seagates firmware engineering and quality
> control.

I had a Seagate drive that failed. It had a five-year warranty and
failed at about two years. Seagate made good on it. And it started
making funny noises before it failed so, clever fellow that I am, I
immediately made a couple of thorough backups. No data loss.

Nevertheless, I crossed Seagate off my list. But having said that,
everyone here has heard of drive failures and I'm sure other brands
have had their share of bad stuff. In my case it is just scar tissue
that makes me reject Seagate.

And then just a couple days ago I bought a Maxtor. Maxtor is now owned
by Seagate. I just hope it came out of a different factory. :(