[PLUG] Seagate ST3500320AS (was Re: 1 TB Hard drives)

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Jan 21 05:23:40 UTC 2009

>>>>> "drew" == drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> writes:

drew> I've never had a Seagate fail but I've had several fail from
drew> Western Digital (all purchased at Wal Mart, so probably more an
drew> issue with the re-seller then WD themselves) and their
drew> warranty's aren't as good but if you're out of warranty and have
drew> a failed drive they have a customer loyalty program where you
drew> can upgrade to a new drive at a deeply discounted price.

I have had drives of all varieties fail.  Drives have finite lives.
Failing is expected.  What is more surprising is an update billed as a
recommended action to *prevent* premature failure actually causing
immediate failure of what was previously an apparently functioning
drive.  And then having that followed up by pretty much total silence
about the problem, not providing a way to immediately revert whatever
/sbin/fsckage their broken update did, etc.  That is a monumental,
viability-threatening event in the life of a company.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net