[PLUG] The Ubuntu Hard Drive Killing Bug Fixed (I hope)

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Wed Jan 21 06:01:31 UTC 2009

Folks,

Somewhat related to the Seagate thing is the Ubuntu hard drive bug -
fixes are being released for various Ubuntu releases, through updated
acpi-support packages.

When I first saw the bug, I checked the number of cycles on my hard
drive with the following command:

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep 193

which reveals the "Load_Cycle_Count". If I remember right, the typical
load cycle count lifetime is about 600,000 cycles. When I checked it on
a fairly new hard drive (less than 2mo) on my Dell e1405, it was at
180,000 cycles. I thought, oh S$(*! and tinkered until I found this fix
which I put in my /etc/rc.local

hdparm -B 200 /dev/sda

But now, everything should be OK with the latest update.

For more info, see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi-support/+bug/59695

Thanks,
Mike