[PLUG] Alternatives to gnome-power-manager

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 17:48:04 UTC 2009

I run a number of ubuntu/debian laptops that use Enlightenment DR17 as
the window manager / desktop environment, and since ubuntu ~7 or so
(and about the same time for debian) I've only been able to get the
power-management features to work under these configurations by
running gnome-power-manager in the background.  This has the following
advantages:

* suspend/resume "just works"
* I can configure the power management settings fairly easily (as long
as the settings I want to configure have been deemed "important" to
the Gnome Dieties.)
* Things like screen dimming when unplugging the AC, etc. work
* the screen brightness and volume controls make use of some On-screen
display that looks fairly clean.
* etc..

However, gnome-power-manager crashes frequently.  It often dies when I
unplug the power, leaving the screen brightness OSD on-screen untill I
kill the process, or at times all or some of the above features will
simply stop working.  <rant> In short, I'm sick of babysitting it, and
I'd much rather support a project that has a better design.  IMHO,
power-management has no place in a Desktop Manager, and had this been
designed "properly" then the Gnome power manager would be nothing but
a snazzy UI for some background WM-agnostic daemon that did the actual
work. (Maybe there are some good reasons for this, but I have been
unable to discern any other than ease of implementation.)</rant>

Does anyone know of other applications / daemons / etc. I could try in
order to get similar functionality?

Thanks!
Rogan