[PLUG] Ahm Back -- Thanks To Help Here

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 23 20:20:38 UTC 2009

   Finally got my main server/workstation booting and running
(Slackware-12.2) late this morning (and the notebook earlier this week). The
help and Slackware insight from Drew Wymore was absolutely invaluable, and
Dick Steffen's help as an intermediary to the list is also greatly
appreciated.

   Both Keith Lofstrom and Ed Borasky worked to indentify problems with the
notebook at last Sunday's clinic. A public "thank you" to them, too.

   The key issue with the notebook (after a few re-installations of -12.2)
turns out to be a missing module from the initial ram disk so it will boot
only from a monolithic kernel. This also turned out to be one issue on the
server/workstation, too. A fix for that will be implemented this weekend.

   The two key issues with the desktop were related to udev and the mtimes of
/etc files being newer than the mtimes of the same files on the new
installation of -12.2. In /etc/rc.d/rc.udev under -12.1 is the now-famous
string, "Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevtrigger". However, in -12.2,
there is no "/sbin/udevtrigger", but "/sbin/udevadm trigger". Critical
difference that I had to fix by hand since the USB flash drive was not
recognized as a device when I booted into the Slackware Disk #1.

   For the edification of other Slackware uses as inexperienced as SysAdmins
as I was, it's quite simple to use Disk #1 as a rescue/live disk. Boot as
though you want to install the distribution and when you log in as root,
make a new root-level directory (e.g., /slack), mount your hard drive's root
partition on that mount point (e.g., 'mount /dev/hda1 /slack'), then 'chroot
/slack'. Now you can mount other partitions on their normal mount points and
futz with the system unitl you figure out what needs to be repaired.

   Now to clean up the fuzzy edges and get back to work ....