[PLUG] Ahm Back -- Thanks To Help Here

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:33:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>   Finally got my main server/workstation booting and running
> (Slackware-12.2) late this morning (and the notebook earlier this week).
> The
> help and Slackware insight from Drew Wymore was absolutely invaluable, and
> Dick Steffen's help as an intermediary to the list is also greatly
> appreciated.
>
>   Both Keith Lofstrom and Ed Borasky worked to indentify problems with the
> notebook at last Sunday's clinic. A public "thank you" to them, too.
>
>   The key issue with the notebook (after a few re-installations of -12.2)
> turns out to be a missing module from the initial ram disk so it will boot
> only from a monolithic kernel. This also turned out to be one issue on the
> server/workstation, too. A fix for that will be implemented this weekend.
>
>   The two key issues with the desktop were related to udev and the mtimes
> of
> /etc files being newer than the mtimes of the same files on the new
> installation of -12.2. In /etc/rc.d/rc.udev under -12.1 is the now-famous
> string, "Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevtrigger". However, in -12.2,
> there is no "/sbin/udevtrigger", but "/sbin/udevadm trigger". Critical
> difference that I had to fix by hand since the USB flash drive was not
> recognized as a device when I booted into the Slackware Disk #1.
>
>   For the edification of other Slackware uses as inexperienced as SysAdmins
> as I was, it's quite simple to use Disk #1 as a rescue/live disk. Boot as
> though you want to install the distribution and when you log in as root,
> make a new root-level directory (e.g., /slack), mount your hard drive's
> root
> partition on that mount point (e.g., 'mount /dev/hda1 /slack'), then
> 'chroot
> /slack'. Now you can mount other partitions on their normal mount points
> and
> futz with the system unitl you figure out what needs to be repaired.
>
>   Now to clean up the fuzzy edges and get back to work ....
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |  Integrity            Credibility
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |            Innovation
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax:
> 503-667-8863

Glad to see you back up Rich. You found the magic to get it to boot. I just
gave you a few pointers and 2 sets of eyes are always better then one when
figuring out really one-off odd problems like this. Perhaps a summary of the
events and steps taken to get back up might be a worthwhile post to the list
or a blog somewhere for future reference so other people don't have to bash
their heads against the wall like we were :)

Drew-