[PLUG] Postfix sender question

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Sat Jan 24 03:18:17 UTC 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009 07:07:50 pm Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Aaron Ten Clay wrote:
> > However, the From header looks like this:
> >
> > From: root at somedomain.com (root)
> >
> > This is confusing to people using certain email clients which expext the
> > From line to look like this:
> >
> > From: "Some Name" <root at somedomain.com>
>
> Aaron,
>
>    Would an alias do the job?
>
> Rich

Rich,

My understanding is that aliases are used for mail redirection, and have
nothing to do with the From header that is attached to messages.

The problem is really with the mail clients in question, but I'm not able to
change them out with more RFC compliant ones. It seems like cron is
generating the mail header and piping the entire contents to a sendmail-esque
wrapper provided by postfix. I don't really want to go mucking about in the
source for that wrapper, there must be an option to have Postfix rewrite the
From line itself.

Thanks,
Aaron