[PLUG] Remaining Mail Issues Need Fixing

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jan 25 00:51:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   2) My wife's MUA is thunderchicken on her laptop (Xubuntu). Since the
> network was brought back up she can send me messages, but cannot retrieve
> received messages from /var/spool/mail/. The message displayed on her
> monitor is, "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server salmo
> responded: unable to process from lines (envelopes), change recognition
> modes or check for corrupted mail drop." A long time ago I set up poppler
> so she can retrieve mail over the local wireless connection. The current
> poppler package is installed. Where do I start looking for the clogged
> pipe on this issue?

   What I pick up from my Google search is that this is an indication of a
corrupted /var/spool/mail user file. How can I fix this?

   The permissions are 660 on user files. Mine works OK, so it must be
limited to hers.

   Can I rename the file a couple of times and see if that works, or is there
an actual method to recreating a user file in that directory?