[PLUG] Grandma Leeth's Restaurant

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Jan 25 04:30:23 UTC 2009

First off, I like the idea of Roots Organic Brewing company for
meetings; if that works out, we should have Advanced Topics
(and perhaps afters) there.

However ...

My wife and I had dinner tonight in an unusual place - Grandma
Leeth's Restaurant ( www.grandmaleeths.com ) in the Cedar Hills
shopping center.   Saturday night is jazz night - I am hard of
hearing, and would rather hear my wife talk, so they seated us
upstairs.  A space about as big as Jax.  I asked, and the space
is available for meetings on weeknights.

Leeth's is unusual because it is very family oriented.  The
downstairs space is half "play room" - actually, a place where
children between 2 and 9 can play and eat with childcare provided
by the restaurant.  Tonight they had three adult women down
there, supervising half a dozen kids,  while the kids' parents
ate with the grownups and listened to jazz.  Parents can sit
near the rail upstairs and glance down at their kids if they
wish.  Tonight, the parents didn't :-) .

As you would expect, this extra service raises the meal prices
a bit - adult entrees range from $11 to $18 or so.  They serve
beer and wine.  They call their food "world comfort food", and
I would call it "healthy upscale" - I had a paella, my wife
had lean angus beef on rice.  They provide for vegetarians
and gluten-free.  There are appetizers, so the impecunious
could get by on $7 or so.

They have free wifi (WEPed, sigh, but they provide the key).

Huge amounts of parking in the shopping center lot.  They are
about 800 feet from the Sunset Transit Center Max Station.
They are in Washington County, but the mailing address is
10122 SW Park Way, Portland so that still counts as "PLUG",
right?

So...

Most of the current PLUG attendance is guys without childcare
responsibilities.  I don't know how many potential members we
are missing because daddies and mommies can't come.  But if
we can recruit members from that group, I think that would be
worth an extra 30% meal cost.  This might also help us develop
some gender balance.

Please talk with your cow-orkers and friends, and other folks
that don't normally come to plug meetings, and see if this is
an attractive option.  We might try the place out with a
special "family Linux night" and see what kind of response we
get.  This could lead to a fourth meeting per month, focusing
on educational and family Linux topics.  Or, we might alternate
every other month between Advanced Topics at Roots and Family
Linux at Leeth's, providing some respite for Alan.

If this is worth pursuing, I will follow up.

Keith