[PLUG] vmplayer virtual ethernet not working...

znmeb at cesmail.net znmeb at cesmail.net
Sun Jan 25 06:25:30 UTC 2009

Quoting someone <plug_1 at robinson-west.com>:

> I am running VMware-Player-2.5.1-126130.i386.rpm
>
> and my kernel is:
>
> 2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686 #1 SMP
>
> [root at silene modules]# /etc/init.d/vmware restart
> Stopping VMware services:
>     Virtual machine communication interface                 [  OK  ]
>     Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
>     Blocking file system                                    [  OK  ]
> Starting VMware services:
>     Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
>     Virtual machine communication interface                 [  OK  ]
>     Blocking file system                                    [  OK  ]
>     Virtual ethernet                                        [FAILED]
> [root at silene modules]#
>
> I have gone in as root and run
> vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
> manually.

Were there any error messages? It might not have built that module
("vmnet", I think) correctly. Also, it probably did a "modprobe"
trying to load the vmnet module. An "lsmod | more" should show it
loaded. If it isn't there, look for errors in "dmesg" and try a
"modprobe vmnet".

There's one other thing you might need to look at. After a fresh
install, there may be a directory "/usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary". If
there is, move it somewhere before doing the "vmware-modconfig" and
see if that helps. That's a VMware bug of some kind -- it causes a
more or less invisible segfault if that directory is present.

> I'm beginning to think that a patch is needed.

If it's the "invisible segfault", yes.