[PLUG] Ubuntu sound

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 26 14:46:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

>> I was forced to reboot my work machine the other day (it crashed... one
>> of these days I need to find enough down time to run memtest) and no
>> sounds are coming out anymore.
>>
>> Any idea what the latest fix is?  (Currently using a mute 8.10 system.)

   Pardon me for jumping in, but my experiences with Slackware may be
applicable to you Ubuntu residents.

   When I need to reboot my workstation all the alsa sound is turned off. I
learned that I need to run (as a user) 'alsamixer' to turn on the sound and
increase the volume. Then it works again ... as long as I remember to turn
on the speakers.

HTH,