[PLUG] vmware nat and windows networking...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Tue Jan 27 21:48:48 UTC 2009

I have vmware running on two Linux systems, server on one
and workstation on the other.  I am running ReactOS on one
box and Windows 2000 on the other.  For some reason, I can
ping from ReactOS to Windows 2000 but I can't do the
opposite.  Does ReactOS not implement echo-reply?  I've
got the routing in my network so that packets end up at
the correct machine.  I'm using NAT networking on both
hosts.  One mystery I haven't solved is why I can't access
shares on the NAT'ed hosts from say a real machine.  Can
a windows workgroup be stretched across two physical
subnets?  How about two different networks?

As far as trying to ping ReactOS vm from 2000 vm, I can
see the echo-request packets showing up on the host
machine via iptraf no problem.  It seems that ReactOS
is not generating a reply, yet I can ping it from it's
host system no problem.

I know someone will probably say bridge the virtual machines,
but that would cut off Internet access.