[PLUG] VOIP and Comcast

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Jan 28 06:44:17 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> writes:

Randal> Just a heads up for local folks... starting a few days ago, I appear
Randal> to be blocked on Comcast for all torrent traffic.  Just tested it with
Randal> the latest ubuntu distro seeded from ubuntu.org, so it's not about
Randal> "blocking illegal content".  I'm on the west side, and I'd be curious
Randal> to see if it's just me, or if others are also noticing this.

Randal> The symptom is that Transmission (on mac) reports "status 0" when it
Randal> tries to contact the tracker.  Normally, this is "status 200", so I
Randal> imagine that Comcast is doing deep packet inspection, recognizing the
Randal> tracker payload, and somehow replacing that with an empty response.

I tracked it down.  Turns out that up until the recent comcast update,
ipv6 travelled safely through my router to the nets.  Apparently, that's
now blocked, and the tracker had an ipv6 address being advertised, which
breaks if ipv6 isn't actually working.  My solution was to turn
off ipv6 on my laptop... when I get more time, I'll also turn it off
in my router so I'm not advertising v6 connections internally.