[PLUG] turning off avahi

Robert Munro ramunro at speakeasy.net
Sat Jan 31 07:14:36 UTC 2009

> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:28:27 -0800
> From: Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com>
> Subject: [PLUG] turning off avahi
> To: PLUG <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
>
> The distro I use, Scientific Linux 5.0, installs with the avahi
> daemon enabled.  Avahi is the open source implementation of
> Zeroconf aka Bonjour aka "link local".  Avahi chooses IP
> addresses for machines on a network without a DHCP server,
> discovers hardware like ethernet-connected printers, etc.
> In the abstract, a fine thing.
>
> In reality, it sucks.  When I operate my laptop unconnected from
> the wired network for a few minutes, avahi helpfully assigns an
> ethernet address of 169.254.x.x to the port.  Which remains, even
> after I plug an ethernet cable back in.  Of course, that address
> is not routable on my network, nor can other machines find the
> normally fixed DHCP-assigned IP address for my laptop.  That
> means I have to stop and restart eth0.  That is broken, IMHO.
>
> So, I turned off the avahi daemon, and took it out of the boot
> sequence.  Sadly,  I am told that the dark gods of dependency
> hell have decreed that for the upcoming version 5.3 of my distro,
> the cups print management software depends on cups-libs, which
> depends on avahi-compat-libdns_sd, which depends on avahi, which
> is enabled when it is installed.  Somebody needs a spanking.
>
> Keith

Mandriva, which I run, installs avahi by default as well.  Since I too
don't need zeroconf network discovery, I've simply taken avahi-daemon
out of the init-scripts (actually I turned it off with the system GUI).

That seems to work, though I'd rather remove the avahi package entirely.

Adding NOZEROCONF=yes to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 also
works to prevent the system from setting 169.254.x.x network addresses.

I agree that distros tacking on zeroconf, wireless and other networking
related packages is a pain - especially when dependencies get involved.

Robert