[PLUG] Database question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jul 2 22:09:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Amy Kelly wrote:

> Mostly for my own education, I want to set up a database that would track
> names, addresses, contact numbers and email addresses, and hours worked
> monthly and be able to pull it into a report every quarter, plus be easier
> to keep updated than their current paper system.

Amy,

   Yes, postgres will work well for what you want, but there is an
alternative approach that is easier to learn, easier to maintain, and will
fit the organization's needs quite well. It will also allow you to focus on
learning SQL and DBA with a comparatively simple system; you can expand your
knowledge from this base.

   Take a look at SQLite <http://www.sqlite.org/>. It's a fully relational
DBMS that can be embedded in applications written in juat about any
language. Single file, easy maintenance, no hassles to maintaining it on a
server or workstation. I use Python (with the wxPython GUI widgets) as the
front end and middleware with SQLite as the back end. Works great.

   Since you have the time, read Joe Celko's "SQL Programming Style" and "SQL
for Smarties, 3rd Edition" and Rick van der Laans' "Introduction to SQL, 4th
Edition." The latter has a great section on time-based queries which you'll
want to use for reports on a volunteer time database.

Have fun,