[PLUG] Blender, Povray, or ...

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jul 3 20:41:31 UTC 2009

I have been building a lot of my presentation graphics and
animations with libGD.  I need to generate 3D drawings of
some structures from simple structures, algorithmically,
with moving POV and text source code.

I have been looking at Blender for making some of these images,
but that looks to be much better for drawing organic objects
artistically than generating merged geometries algorithmically.
Very complicated, steep learning curve.  A promising alternative
is PovRay, which is command line and language driven, yet can
produce beautiful photorealistic images.  While there is some
content I would like to borrow from Blender,  I am not comfortable
feeding information in through a graphic U.I.  "Command line
blender" might be cool ...

Anybody here familiar with either or both tools?  Is there another
open source image definition and rendering package I should be
considering?  One that uses the Nvidia CUDA engine for rendering
(to PNGs or SWF) would be nifty ...

Keith