[PLUG] Blender, Povray, or ...

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 21:56:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I have been building a lot of my presentation graphics and
> animations with libGD.  I need to generate 3D drawings of
> some structures from simple structures, algorithmically,
> with moving POV and text source code.
>
> I have been looking at Blender for making some of these images,
> but that looks to be much better for drawing organic objects
> artistically than generating merged geometries algorithmically.
> Very complicated, steep learning curve.  A promising alternative
> is PovRay, which is command line and language driven, yet can
> produce beautiful photorealistic images.  While there is some
> content I would like to borrow from Blender,  I am not comfortable
> feeding information in through a graphic U.I.  "Command line
> blender" might be cool ...

>From your description I would say POVRay is probably the right tool between
the two.  Because it is language driven there are (or at least used to be)
many front ends.  Blender can probably even generate POVRay scene files if
you asked it nicely (never tried, but it seems reasonable).

But, bottom line is: Both tools are very powerful and capable assuming you
know what you're doing and take the time to learn them.

Jason