[PLUG] Blender, Povray, or ...

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Jul 3 22:35:26 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> I have been building a lot of my presentation graphics and
Keith> animations with libGD.  I need to generate 3D drawings of some
Keith> structures from simple structures, algorithmically, with moving
Keith> POV and text source code.

Keith> I have been looking at Blender for making some of these images,
Keith> but that looks to be much better for drawing organic objects
Keith> artistically than generating merged geometries algorithmically.
Keith> Very complicated, steep learning curve.  A promising
Keith> alternative is PovRay, which is command line and language
Keith> driven, yet can produce beautiful photorealistic images.  While
Keith> there is some content I would like to borrow from Blender, I am
Keith> not comfortable feeding information in through a graphic U.I.
Keith> "Command line blender" might be cool ...

Keith> Anybody here familiar with either or both tools?  Is there
Keith> another open source image definition and rendering package I
Keith> should be considering?  One that uses the Nvidia CUDA engine
Keith> for rendering (to PNGs or SWF) would be nifty ...

When I was working on transmission line towers and model human tower
climbers a few years ago, I used something called K3D.

  http://www.k-3d.org/wiki/Main_Page

I wasn't doing animations, but it can do animations I guess.  And I
was able to interface with it in a comprehensible fashion.  I recall
creating geometries from external software, anyway.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net