[PLUG] Can't install Debian Lenny on Alpha PC164...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sun Jul 5 22:30:52 UTC 2009

So Lenny will not install from ARC console or MILO and something
crazy about MILO not being available anymore.  Great, I go to all
the trouble of downloading the newest version of Debian I know
about for my Alpha and just like CentOS 4.3, I can't install it.

I realize that Alpha got killed, partially because it was never
marketed correctly and partially because Intel did not want
competition when they got into the 64 bit computer business.

Can I install SRM console somehow without breaking ARC console?

There's something vague about installing woody and upgrading, but
where do I get Debian Woody for the Alpha?  This just seems
completely ridiculous.

I want to get something newer than Redhat 6.2 on my Alpha that
supports DVD burners.  Why on earth does everyone think that I
have SRM console anyways?

I wish I could get a hold of the last version of Redhat for the
Alpha, but I guess the last version was 7.2 which wouldn't be
much of an upgrade.

Are there any DVD burning programs that work with Windows NT 4.0
Alpha or Redhat 6.2?

Does Slackware run on the Alpha?