[PLUG] Compatible Fax Modems

Tim Bruce - PLUG timb at tbruce.com
Mon Jul 6 18:35:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, July 6, 2009 11:19, Tim Wescott wrote:
> Subject line says it: I'm looking for a compatible fax modem for a Dell
> 8300 with Ubuntu.  The machine has a Winmodem that isn't supported for
> Linux.
>
> I'd like to avoid as much hassle as possible; my research indicates that
> this means I want a Hayes compatible with fax support.  I'd kind of
> prefer USB 'cause then I can drag it upstairs and let my wife use it on
> her Vista-"powered" laptop, but the important thing is that it works
> with sane/XSane with a minimum of hassle.
>
> It looks like Fry's has some Hayes-compatible USB fax modems for around
> $45/ea; I assume anything that claims Hayes compatibility will work.
>
> Any other suggestions?  (cheaper would be nice).
>
> Any known pitfalls?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Tim Wescott
> Wescott Design Services
> Voice: 503-631-7815
> Cell:  503-349-8432
> http://www.wescottdesign.com

Well, I won't speak for the Ubuntu side...but I will relate something I
learned on Vista.  If you're running 64-bit Vista be VERY careful.  There
are very few drivers that work with ANY modem (especially USB).  This one
bit me big time helping my in-laws with their new computer and they use
dial-up.  Yeah, don't ask....I'm just the family geek and the sales people
out there have not got a @&#^$ clue (oh, sure...it'll work with no
problems.... <sigh>)

Tim
--