[PLUG] Email question

linux-yug linux-yug at xprt.net
Thu Jul 9 06:24:31 UTC 2009

All

I am applying for a tech support job and have to answer this question..

Problem
If an end user were to call you saying they cannot send email through
their local hosted POP3/SMTP server, how would you go about
troubleshooting the issue

Reponse:

1.. Ask if the mail has ever worked..

2.. If mail has worked ask when was the last time it worked correctly

3.  Ask if any hardware/software has been installed since the mail last
worked.

4.  When was the last time the computer was booted.

5.  Have customer boot computer again and check email

6.  Have customer check  POP3 and SMTP settings.

7.  Have customer reenter POP3 and SMTP settings.

8  Reboot computer and try email again.

9. If email is still not working ...Have customer open terminal window
and ping both POP and SMTP servers..

10.  I email is still not working..Have customer call local ISP and see
if there are problems there...

Is there a better/quicker way/method ?????

Have I missed some obvious step??

TIA

Linux-yug