[PLUG] POVray on Ubuntu Hardy

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Thu Jul 9 20:29:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 13:19:31 -0700
> From: Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net>
> To: PLUG List <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: [PLUG] POVray on Ubuntu Hardy
>
> Can someone point me to where the tutorial is put on Hardy?
>
> The Googling I've done says to look in
>
> /usr/local/share/doc/povray-3.6/html
>
> for the POVray tutorial. I installed POVray using the Synaptic Package
> Manager, but I get an error message when I try to go to the
> /usr/local/share/doc directory.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens
> www.dicksteffens.com

An error?  That could be a lot of things.  What is the output if you
run this:

   ls -ld /usr/local/share/doc/povray-3.6/html

Do you see this message:

   ls: cannot access html: No such file or directory

Or does something else happen?  Either the folder does not exist, or
you don't have permissions to it.  A folder must have the execute bit
set in order to enter it.  The permissions problem could be in a
higher-level folder, like /usr/local/share/doc/povray-3.6,
/usr/local/share/doc, etc.  Any folder you cannot enter will hose all
others under it.

Isn't there an apt command you can use to list the files in a package?
Someone else will have to jump in here.  Or synaptic will let you
click your way to it.

Carlos