[PLUG] POVray on Ubuntu Hardy

Daniel Johnson teknotus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 21:49:58 UTC 2009

> If I simply run povray I get this message:
>
> rsteff at moonguide:~$ povray
> povray: cannot open the user configuration file
> /home/rsteff/.povray/3.6/povray.conf: No such file or directory

Last time I looked at it the documentation was windows specific, and
assumed you were running the version with the built in editor.  You
pretty much have to edit scene files in a text editor, and then treat
povray like it's a compiler where the output is an image file.

> (followed by a lot of other stuff)
>
> Running povray -? returns the same output.
>
> I assume that some configuration is needed, but I don't know where to
> look to find out how to do it.

You don't need a configuration file so long as you put all the
necessary options on the command line such as image dimensions.  The
config file is just a handy way of setting up defaults.  I would be
surprised if it was broken out of the box on any version of Ubuntu as
Mark Shuttleworth has a strong connection to the POVRay community as a
result of using it on the international space station.