[PLUG] USB issues

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 04:40:43 UTC 2009

In trying to get my HP PhotoSmart  S20 scanner communicating with
VirtualBox (Win 2K guest) I found that the information received by the
kernel (2.6.28-13-generic) from the scanner is wildly inconsistent.
The vendor # and device # are consistent, but the rest is garbled (HP
?HP PhotoSmart C5101A,  HP ?HP oSmart C5101A - S20, HP P,
HEW?HEWLETT-PAC, etc) when it should be HP PhotoSmart C5101A - S20.
This is on a newly set-up machine running Ubuntu 9.04.  The MB is an
Asus M3N78-VM.  The system appears to communicate with other devices
on the USB properly (an HP DeskJet 930C and a ScanDisk card reader).

The data from the scanner received by kernel 2.6.26-2-686 running
Debian Lenny on a Lenovo ThinkPad T42 does not suffer this problem.

Any ideas would be welcomed.  The scanner is a wonderful machine--it
worked fine on Win ME on the old MB when I was dual booting.

Thanks,

-Denis