[PLUG] Victor wants to have a better web surfing experience

Victor Soich vsoich at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 11:34:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have debian on my laptop and a comcast broadband connection.

When I use a web browser called Epiphany and go to my gmail account
and compose an email, the time it takes for the letters to appear on
the screen as I type them is super slow.

When I open a lot of tabs, i.e. web sites, my system goes so slow that
I can no longer effectivly surf the Internet.

How do I solve these two problems?

Specs of my system:

cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       183820 kB

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 498.170
cache size      : 256 KB

df -h /dev/hda1
/dev/hda1              37G  2.7G   32G   8% /

I am using KDE.  It is what was automatically installed when I
installed Debian.
I believe I do not have the recommended amount of RAM to effectively
use KDE, and
that is affecting my typing in gmail and my overall web surfing experience.

I think I need to install a different Window Manager and/or Desktop.
I don't understand
the difference between a Window Manager and a Desktop.  Can someone clarify?

How do I install a different Window Manager and/or Desktop?

Most importantly, can you please recommend a combination of Window
Manager, Desktop, and Web Browser, given my computers modest specs,
such that I can compose emails in gmail without the letters appearing
so slow, and furthermore open a lot of tabs and surf the web
effectively.

Perhaps it is the case that I need to invest in new hardware, but I
don't think so.  Linux is
suppose to work on old stuff.  Perhaps I'm asking too much of Linux on
my old laptop?

I don't know.  I just know that I'm kind of miserable composing emails
in gmail, and in surfing the net.

Thank you for your consideration.

Victor