[PLUG] Victor wants to have a better web surfing experience

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 17:34:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 06:41:11 -0700
Michael Ewan <mhewan1 at comcast.net> dijo:

> Victor Soich wrote:
> > When I use a web browser called Epiphany and go to my gmail account
> > and compose an email, the time it takes for the letters to appear on
> > the screen as I type them is super slow.

> I was having the same kind of problems on a 256MB Intel P4 box and
> switched to xfce.  I get much better performance with xfce.  You should
> be able to apt-get xfce to install it then choose that from the login
> session manager.  You might also consider a new operation system such as
> DSL or Puppy Linux.  Both are very light weight and designed for small
> memory hardware.

In addition to the other excellent suggestions, I would like to add
Xubuntu. Xubuntu uses XFCE, yet it has the user-friendliness and plug
and play advantages that Ubuntu is famous for. At the Clinic I have
installed it on older computers several times and it always seemed very
responsive. It is also very good at auto-detecting and configuring
hardware devices. If I recall correctly it needs only 192 MB of RAM.
Like all the *buntus it is Debian based.

Also, check out whether the computer can take additional RAM and what
kind it requires. Then call the Free Geek thrift store to see if they
have any in stock. For some reason old RAM is more expensive than the
newer varieties, but you can save a bit if Free Geek has any available.